Proponents of drilling in the Arctic Refuge point to rising gas prices as a reason to drill. But in reality, Arctic Refuge oil would amount to a drop in the bucket of the oil market. The U.S. Department of Energy recently estimated that if we drilled for oil in the Refuge tomorrow, it would lower gas prices by roughly a penny per gallon... in 20 years. (a la Sierra Club)
Here's some commentary (I earnestly hesitate to call it insight) from someone formerly involved in a college environmental group that talked a lot of politics and bake sales. I'm still interested in sustainable living and renewable energy, though I've ditched my efforts to raise money through a miniscule but passionate campus organization that receives little to no support from the University they are affiliated with. Instead I try to recycle, avoid wasteful packaging, turn off lights, TVs and computer speakers when not in use, voice my belief in alternative energy sources like hydro, solar and biomass, and generally try to be resourceful and sustainable. I have written about it in my campus newspaper and I have attended many meetings on that same campus as an advocate for renewable energy.
I attempt to differentiate myself from the vague, idealist environmentalists that attend these meetings because I grew impatient and found myself restless in the wake of the insignificant results of my involvement in such a group. There had to be better ways for me to protect the environment, I told myself. Too much thinking and talking- not enough BOOM impact- not enough material produced to persuade Congress that the opinions of young environmentalists are HEAVY and loaded with honesty and potential. These people are awe-struck by nature and read articles in The New York Times and BBC Online that give them a decent argument in defense of the environment, but they are on a lonely stage, speaking from a podium in an almost-empty room. Their voices are voiceless because they reach a very small audience. So, this is my attempt to justify college environmentalists with no access to monetary support, professional outputs for honest environmentalism, or audience to compell. I'm not sure that my audience here is any more significant or numerous than that of a private college organization in a small room in the student union, but you can't say that's entirely my problem. I'll try my best to be compelling.
In the past year, I have asked both Minnesota's senators, via email, about Congress' decision to drill in Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR). I received impersonal but informative emails from both Norm Coleman and Mark Dayton that promised they would stand tall by their promise of opposition. I also was contacted by Rep. Mark Kennedy (R-MN) after asking him through email if he would honor his pledge to those he represents and oppose drilling in Alaska. He said he would.
Coleman and Kennedy's promises helped change my perception of Republicans. These two obviously had a stronger passion than greed and would stand up for their beliefs. The problem is, Kennedy was unable to pull through. He was forced to choose between funding troops fighting the War on Terror and supporting the environment. My agonizing frustration tells me to confront Kennedy and give him hell for breaking his promise; I recall Rosseau's social contract and it seems that someone like Kennedy should be punished and removed from office.
But I quickly saw through my blinding ignorance and realized he was forced to choose loyalty to others- to those fighting in Iraq- over the environment. I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of my congressmen fail to uphold their promise to environmentalists. As a human lawmaker faced with the choice between supporting soldiers and Marines in Iraq and keeping oil drills away from Alaska's wildlife, I also would feel the pull of humanity and support the war, regardless of my opposition to it. The blame is not to be placed on those who voted, it belongs to those who went to extreme measures to argue that drilling in the environment is crucial to the war in Iraq.
The drilling plan was attached to defense spending bill 308-106. Somehow, supporting large, wealthy oil companies is related to fighting in Iraq! The truth finally spills out- the answer to the question 'Are we fighting for democracy or oil?' arises. I believe in democracy, don't misinterpret me. I simply do not believe in a falsely and poorly justified war.
I'd like to say "let's hope our Senators send a message to Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) and vote against this bill", but it is much more complicated than that. Sen. Stevens, who is primarily responsible for the plan to drill in Alaska, has pitted national loyalty against environmental protection in a partisan-biased attack on environmentalists, many of whom are liberals who oppose the war in Iraq. This bill is blackmail- if you vote against it, you will be labeled an opponent of democracy and freedom. This is ridicuous; a "most outrageous abuse of power"; a sham. It's shady politics at its best.
Tuesday, December 20, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment