Check out The Higher Conservative
I responded to this dude today. Each day, the smugness of certain conservatives is giving me a terrible perception of Republicans as a whole. I am trying so hard to think in an unbiased, reasonable way in order to shape some type of truth or opinion. I find it hypocritical for a conservative individual to attack liberals as a whole and not expect my opinion of conservatives as a whole to reflect that individual's blind stance against a group of people ("lefties" or "liberals"). It makes me want to shed my liberal identity and create a new political group. This is just not smart, though. Perhaps I will vote third-party or independent, but I refuse to completele deny my liberal tendencies because of some inane comments by a smug conservative I should be ignoring.
I'm not sure why I even care about this guy. He should mean nothing to me, but instead his ideas are just reiterating those I've been getting bombarded with lately. Republicans hate liberals for opposing them. Democrats hate conservatives because their ideas are mostly on the other side of the fence. Maybe it's because part of me relates to some aspects of being a conservative. Like many on the right side (by no means do I mean the "correct side") of the fence, I am religious. Unlike conservatives, though, I am deeply opposed to Bush's use of religion in politics, most importantly in justifying war (especially a war that has killed over 2,000 Americans so far). My religious background and education advises me to be a peacemaker. Bush did everything he could to make a case to go to war. A war he is fighting "in the name of God"!
This post is a waste of time, because the author of The Higher Conservative has no credentials or authority. His intellectual, rational argument's weight (despite its claim): little to none. But, his ability to boil liberal blood is uncanny. Yet another example of conservative mud-slinging. These days, their existence seems to be based on fighting liberals intellectually. We should just hold an Ultimate Fighting Championship match! Maybe then we can settle this unending political debate.
I detest many conservatives and the way they argue against Democrats by immediately doubting liberals' ability to argue. They discount their argument right away if they charge liberals with intellectual crimes by saying "Liberals absolutely fear this type of intellect, since they MUST get you to ignore it if they are ever to win a point." Not true. I believe I am demonstrating the type of intellect by critiquing a nonsense blog. Maybe I'm wrong. Democrats do this too, so I can't say conservatives are the only people responsible for this type of behavior. Doing so would only be ignoring the truth: partisan antics can be ridiculous. They are getting in the way of a war that should be ended.
I'll read a conservative blog with delight if it offers intellectual insight without carrying a grudge against Democrats. I may not agree, but I can at least reinforce my own opinions and learn about the other side of the fence.
I don't hate my conservative neighbors. I enjoy being a responsible citizen, but that doesn't mean I don't have the right to criticize. In fact, that is the basis of free speech in America. I do have the right to draw the line, though, when conservatives place themselves on an intellectual pedestal. Step down and look me in the eyes if you are trying to make a point about the Iraq war or any other issue for that matter. You may have a better argument, and you may convince me. But RMW at http://highcon.blogspot.com/, you have not done anything but convince me that your ridiculous conservative view is representative of Republicans everywhere.
Thursday, December 15, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment