Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Running through the mist that kisses my face and hair violently

i only have a few minutes, so I'll make this quick. I've been running the last few days, and I must say it's encouraging to be in such a incredibly gorgeous setting. Running down a pier lined by a cracked, crumbling in spots, moss-blanketed rock wall through the splattering of mist from Galway Bay makes me want to come back here each and every day to let Creation inspire me. Such clean air, birds squawking as I'm walking and admiring the distant, rolling waves of greenish gray that dissipate as I stroll through the misty seaside air. I make my way across the wall down toward the rocky shore where the seaweed collects among the shale and mud and clay. Boulders stand watch, as does the blinking orange eye of a simple beacon on the edge of this pier. It watches, and has for decades, the other eyes on the horizon- a lighthouse on a larger pier that extends for a quarter mile (I don't have the endurance now to make it to the pier and out upon it) and some buoys out in the midst of the harbor. I climb across the boulders with slippery shoes and land on one that appears majestic and dry enough. A perfect spot to admire Ireland's coast, where the beauty begins and never seems to end. A few gleeful dogs run amuck down in the sand and seaweed with their owner, who must love the freedom he gives to them. I as well feel the freedom that nature provides, but I must not stay too long. I say a temporary goodbye to the swans that swim apart from the rumbling tumbling waters away from shore, they are steroid-injected geese with long yellow bills and co-exist with pigeons 10 times smaller. All are looking for scraps of food on the surface of their home and occasionally dip their pearly white feathered bodies down into the clear water. The mist violently kisses my face and hair as I stride back home, away from this place of natural maritime beauty and into another, the colorful streets of Galway. The curving hills miles away are lesser mountains but contain mysterious legends of dragons and leprechauns, and someday soon I might go investigate. For now, though, they sit magically and semi-transparent in the misty fog the oceans sends to me on the shore of Galway Bay.

No comments: