Wednesday, April 26, 2006

blogging

It's pretty difficult to keep a consistent blog going when you live in my situation, so that's my explanation. I found out from Logan that Prof. McAdams mentioned my blog on the Warrior blog, so that's cool. Even though its a conservative blog (I have much respect for the blog). Even though I "fuss" about the Bush administration. I can take the criticism though because I believe its right to fuss and moan and bitch and shout about a government you don't agree with. It has to do with me being liberal, I know. But as I've said before, I try my best to mediate between the two parties and try not to take offense at whatever labels come flying at me (not that too many have been slapped on me and my Bush-and-MU Republican-bashing).

Anyways, I'm coming back to the US in 9 days and though I am looking forward to one thing in particular I am also eager to start taking interest in politics. Lately I have been focused mainly on writing stories in the literary tradition, even if my form of literary expression doesn't quite align with formal, traditional literature per se. You'll see someday when my stories are published (whether that means on college-ruled notebook paper with tattered sides and nacho stains or in a pristine issue of The New Yorker, whatever). But for now, my life is about to take a 180-degree flip - back toward the American way of life, in 9 days. Here in Ireland I have mostly been getting my mind into the music, the melodic brogue, the books (Joyce, Yeats, McCabe, Murdoch, etc.), the sports (hurling, Gaelic football, soccer of course...) and the amazing, crazy times that I hope will be preserved in my memory for awhile. Not necessarily US politics. And Irish politics are fascinating, especially the past 100 years, check it out. My writing has never been purely and completely political because frankly, politics can be terribly frustrating and overwhelming and simply not too interesting. That's not to discount their importance, though. I take delight in knowing I can stray away from them for awhile and work on my own stuff. Plus everyone knows that writing about politics on a blog most likely will not make any pragmatic changes in the world. They can motivate and possibly even inspire though, so word to all the consistent, exhaustive bloggers. I hope to continue this intriguing and intellectually stimulating acticity sometime in the future. But for now- to the cobblestone streets of Galway to strum my guitar and earn enough Euro coins to cool down my mac-and-cheese-filled stomach with some Irish beverages. That's what I overpaid Marquette for anyways, right!

No comments: